Monday, October 13, 2014

"Clean the canyon", "I grocery shop" and More...



Overall, this week has been pretty good, the mission gets a lot better after time and adjustment. Sometimes I have difficult times but these times are starting to happen less and less, but let me assure you that they definitely do pass. But that is how life is supposed to be. We’ve been taught since we were young that God give us difficulties and challenges so that we might be able to grow and learn, something that has helped me a lot when I am having a hard time is I try to look at what I can gain or learn from this moment, I encourage you all to do the same. We are bound to make mistakes, mess up, and sin, but that is what is so incredible about this Gospel, we have the Atonement. I know that through this marvelous work of Jesus Christ we all can receive a remission of our sins if we come unto him with a broken heart and a contrite spirit. It has been something amazing in my life.

I wasn´t the greatest kid before the mission, I wasn´t doing anything incredibly wrong but I wasn´t living life the way I should have. When I started to prepare for my mission, the Atonement and my testimony in it started to shine. Through this, I truly started to see a change in my heart. I can testify of Mosiah 5:7. We are sons and daughters of God, and He wants us to come unto Him. Sometimes in life it´s difficult and we fail, but always remember Mosiah 26:30 and the promise that the Lord makes unto us. I don´t know exactly why I am saying this all right now, but for some reason I feel like I should because I have started to realize how big of a role the Atonement is in all of our lives and especially how amazing it has been in mine.

Alright now onto how my week has been and what I´ve been doing. It started off with some guy approaching us on the street and telling us that he felt like there are evil spirits in his house and he just has a bad vibe about it. He had moved into it recently and he proceeded to tell us of a story that the person who lived in it before him told him about how his ex-girlfriend haunts it. haha Pretty crazy stuff,  but he asked if we could do anything for him. So we did a house blessing. Unfortunately, it wasn´t like all the scary movies I´ve watched and no devil came running out of a closet or anything.

Another thing that me and Elder Casperson got to do after a lesson with Lilian and Vick, we asked the usual "Is there anything that we can do for you?" Of course the normal "no" answer came but my companion offered to "clean the canyon". I wasn’t sure exactly what that was, but by the time that I was standing on the roof, standing on a edge that was tiny, I had an idea. It involves throwing this machine thing down the chute of the chimney. It was pretty sketchy climbing up these shack things to make it to the roof, then trying to balance as we undid the whole chimney top and throwing the thing down in it. And we had to do it twice because it didn´t work the first time. We encountered every kind of problem during the time but we did it! I came out with black marks all over my shirt and pants hah not the smartest but it was fun! And a good experience.




This week has been really, really cold.  One of the days we woke up and it was 11 degrees C (50 F) but of course it was so hot by the afternoon. It’s kind of like Utah here in the sense of weather, one moment it will be sunny and hot and the next moment it’s raining and cold. But other than that Chile is completely different than Utah.

This week and for the past couple weeks we have been focusing on finding new people to teach, so we have been contacting a lot. It’s kind of hard and discouraging because we haven´t been the most successful but we keep on trying day after day. Well, that´s all I really have for this week, sorry it´s kind of lame haha I´ll try and do something crazy this next week :)

Oh I just remember something that was cool.  This week because it was fast Sunday we had a fast and testimony meeting. Earlier in the week our ward was able to travel, those who could afford it, to Santiago to go to the Santiago temple. It was so cool to see them all bear their testimonies on how amazing the temple is and how everyone needs to go. It is humbling to see how much people have to give up and sacrifice to go to the temple. Many, if not all of you back home have a temple very close. Take advantage of it and realize how blessed we are to have temple. If you don´t have a temple recommend or haven´t gone in a while, I invite you to do whatever you need to do to make it happen, because really the temple is heaven on earth. That´s all for this week, I´ll continue to eat crazy food and live the life of a Chilean and tell you some more stories next week.
Elder Clay

Mom’s side note – We asked Connor about his meals in Chile and told him we were having the missionaries over for dinner on Thursday this was his reply to us:
Breakfast I either have cereal or yogurt and granola, lunch every day is with a member at about 1:00, and dinner is when we get home at 10 at night and it has been peanut butter and jam sandwiches for a while lol. TREAT THE MISSIONARIES WELL, AND GIVE THEM DESSERT. . I’m like a grown man, living on my own haha so weird to think. I was thinking about it today and realized it when I was grocery shopping haha I GROCERY SHOP, in Chile to add to that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment