Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Winter, Funny Grandma's and Goals



Dear family and friends, this week in Temuco was a cold one. I think it got colder this week than it ever has been for me since I got here.  I have to thank my parents for sending me prepared with the things I need to not freeze to death here! haha  The cold and rain combination is very cool and pretty hard to deal with as missionaries.  However we are still working and just trying to stay dry! 

I’ll start off with this week talking about these two cute old grandmas that we visit occasionally. I don’t think I laugh harder when I’m on the mission than when I am with them!  One is 84 years old and the other is 76, they have been friends their entire lives and they decided that they were going to finish off life together.  They have a lot of problems due to their age with hearing and seeing but they are always quick to make a joke of it when they can’t do something.   They have really learned how to look at the good or funny side of things, and that’s what I’m learning from them.  I decided I’m going to visit and talk with people of an older age more when I get home, they have more experience in life and know what’s up!  Also they are funny!

The work here in my sector, Millahue, has picked up since I got here and we are starting to find people that we can teach.  But the majority of the people that we have right now have one thing in common that they are all lacking… it is marriage.  Chile is really relaxed in that sense,  a lot of people live together without being married, so we have to teach about  that subject a lot.  Before I end my mission, I want to get a couple married and then baptize them, it’s going to take work but it’s going to happen!  Then the other thing is the authority of God.  We try to explain and teach it so clearly but a lot of people don’t understand or don’t accept it.  We continue passing by and helping the people with whatever we can.  The constant search for the people whom God has prepared continues as well.   

Another thing that happened this week was on the 21st of May. Here in Chile they celebrate that day in remembrance of when Chile beat Peru in a war. It was pretty funny being with a Peruvian as a companion and being in Chile that entire day.  People were throwing in sly comments here and there but nothing too serious happened. 

With it being so cold lately, I can see by breath when I breathe in our house, haha.  We have been helping a lot of people with their wood, like cutting it and arranging it, and also their stove chimney things.  I even installed one this week! 

Well that’s pretty much everything that happened this week but I would like to share with you guys something that I learned this week.  It’s something that I have realized and put into practice in my life.  It’s the act of making and completing goals.  I have learned that the magnitude of how fast we can grow or learn is greatly increased when he have goals set and we are working towards them.  Also is helps a lot when we have a plan on how we are going to accomplish what we set out to.  That’s it for this week, love and miss you all!

Elder Clay

No comments:

Post a Comment