Monday, October 12, 2015

Transfers, Scary Experience, King Benjamin



Hey guys, sorry for not sending an email last week, it was transfers and we had a lot going on and I didn’t have time.  It is alright though because not a lot happened because I was in my boot and it was raining so it made it really difficult to work.  But fortunately I had the opportunity to be in the same house as Elder Wallace as he ended his mission this past week.  He has been a big example for me and I was able to learn a lot from him.  It’s always cool when missionaries end their missions and give their last testimony because it is always very powerful and moving.  Dropping Elder Wallace off at the bus station was pretty sad though, this past transfer our house had grown really close together and I love these missionaries like brothers.  However glad that everything is moving forward, and yes, this transfer changed things up in our house. 

Elder Stevenson, a really good friend in the mission came to replace Elder Wallace. I’ve talked about him before but a long time ago he went to Weber and played lacrosse there, he’s a homie.  Also my companion Elder Fuimano got transferred out and now I am companions with Elder Patino!  He is from Mexico and a convert of 3 years.  He is really outgoing and funny so we have had a good time together. 

As for this week it has just been a ton of contacting, walking in the street I think we entered a total of 4 houses this entire week and were just outside for the week straight haha.  It has been pretty rough but we are just going to keep working hard and searching for the people that God has prepared.   While we have been in the street we have had some pretty crazy experiences, besides all the dogs biting us, none of them broke skin so we’re good.  Probably the experience that was the craziest was at about 8:30 at night and we were walking around a place contacting that isn’t that dangerous but can be sometimes.  Anyway, out of nowhere we heard somebody pounding on a door really hard and screaming at the house.  We saw that it was a guy who was really drunk and he had some metal bar thing that is like one of those constructions bars that was grinded off to a point at the end.  He was VERY mad and I imagine he was looking for his girlfriend due to what he was yelling.  So we passed to the other side of the street but he spotted us and started storming towards us saying “Te voy a matar gringo” which translated is “I’m going to kill you gringo.” Well I didn’t really realize how close he was to me until I looked back and saw that he was right next to me and he took a stab at me with his metal pole thing,  good thing I’m a ninja, even with my boot, and I dodged it and it missed me by only inches from going in between my shoulder and neck.  We started running away and he didn’t follow us.  Yeah, almost died, crazy stuff. 

A couple other crazy experiences, a guy came out of his house screaming that he wasn’t going to listen to our message until the United States stopped killing Islamic people…  We also found this family, who I’m almost confident are inactives of our church, who formed a church that pretty much just copied the restoration of our church along with everything else and just  Latino-ized it! haha pretty interesting.

We ended the week doing service cleaning the outside of a sisters house.  I don’t think it had been washed in 20 years and we got really dirty doing it, but it was a lot of fun. 

Update on my ankle, it feels a lot better but I can still feel some pain. I went to the hospital again on Thursday and the doctor told me that I can start to take the boot off every now and then so I can strengthen it, so I’ve been walking some in my boot and some without it.  Hopefully it heals really well and fast.

To end on a spiritual note, I am in the discourse of King Benjamin.  I don’t need to go on about how good it is because I’m sure that you guys already know, but the references that he makes to the natural man, Jesus Christ and service are all so good.  With every sacrament that we take we are renewing that covenant that we made at baptism to take upon ourselves the name of Christ.  We need to always remember that and remember that we are examples of the believers and the actions that we take reflect our devotion to Christ and His church.  I hope that all is well at home.  I love you all, have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment